(My life in DC )

...and everywhere else...

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Plumbing issues, or how things go wrong

So I have no hot water in my kitchen. Just the kitchen, due to a faulty hose (I like saying the word hose, though it always looks misspelled to me). See the hose that is in place, or rather was in place until I removed it last weekend or rather is actually still in place due to me removing the wrong hose, has a sort of anti flood your hose when said hose bursts device on it. And as with most good ideas, this device (better known as a pressure sealed gasket) went wrong.

It went wrong by constantly deciding that it had burst so it would shut off the water supply. Meaning no hot water, for some reason the cold has no such safety device attached. So off to the horrid Home Depot I went and purchased an overpriced length of hose and returned home, that was last Tuesday. Due to the need to be at work I decided not to try to attach the hose until I had more then 20 minutes free and being that it was the week of Thanksgiving, I managed to put it off on Wednesday so I could prepare for Turkey-day, and well I spent Thanksgiving giving thanks for way too much food and wine. Ditto Friday, I think I had a Saturday but it was lost to 13 hours of doing little more then was necessary to survive through till Sunday, and well I spent Sunday getting better from the massive gluttonous hangover.

So now it's Monday, I feel marginally better by sleeping till 10 am, not nearly long enough with having to be at work at 8 pm, and I decided after coffee two that it was time. So hose in hand (yes I know how that sounds) I crawled under the sing with my trust adjustable pliers and then crawled out to find the other not so trusty ones, it's a two plier job. So I crawled under the sink, then crawled out (quickly) to find a bucket, or large bowl to catch the water that was squirting about because I still cannot remember which direction left is sometimes.

Now with bucket in place, two pliers, Plumbers tape (without having to go find it while underway thank you very much) and a length of hose, I went back in. Removed the old hose (which was oddly connected to the faucet by another hose on a connector) cleaned off the old plumbers tape, reapplied and reattached using the trusty pliers. All was done, time to turn the knob and then turn it again very quickly because I didn't quite use my trusty pliers enough. Now that I had nearly exhausted myself with tightening, time to turn the knob again. No drips yet, good, goood!!!! Turn on the tap and walah steaming hot H2O! Voondabah!
Clunk and no H2o... no nice hot water to wash the dishes and my greasy hands with... what the crap.

So it seems the hose I removed did indeed have a gasket on it, but it also seems that the hose that is actually directly attached to the faucet ALSO has a wonderfully thought-out device attached to it as well. I would also have you know that I ruined the hose I removed and that there is no way what so ever to remove the second hose without completely removing the faucet from the counter. Now it's Wednesday again. I can't try to fix it again till Friday, when I get to get home at 6, sleep till noon and then go to the Hell Depot again. More to come on that I'd guess.

Why is it these nice little inventions go wrong so often? I had a similar fiasco with the upstairs toilet, with every flush the flood stopping gasket would kick in and prevent the toilet from refilling, so I would to shut off the water, and wait an hour for it to reset. A plumber friend said it was too much water pressure for the gasket and to place a regular one on. Problem solved. Now I am not one who would like my house to flood due to a burst hose, but please I would like the hose to perform its hosley duties correctly, so off with.

Ah, plumbing... the bane of my new house... next time I'll talk about the wash/bath room disaster........

No comments: