(My life in DC )

...and everywhere else...

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Another Normal Weekend

So the weekend passed with little of interest occurring. There were far too many sick people coming to my hose for my taste (if your sick stay home, that applies to going to work too. Keep your plague to yourself!) So I'm bracing for a cold, got my Zink and oranges all lined up. I went and walked through some Christmas light displays, that was actually very nice. It happened to be the first night that we've received a discernable amount of snow, so it was actually very, well, Christmassy.

I'm not sure if it's the economy or folks just deciding that Christmas is for losers but I seem to remember a lot more folks lighting up their homes. I think that mine is the only house on the block with lights and there are only two others on the whole street that I've seen. Perhaps it's not green to light the house anymore, using up all that electricity for no reason other then not looking like your the Grinch. Oh well, I'm a fan of Griswalding up the place (never enough lights!) though I must say that the worst thing to happen to Christmas since boxed fruit cake is the inflatable lawn ornament. God almighty I hate those things. Huge inflatable snow globs and behemoth sized Santa's stomping atop the roves. Most folks can't seem to stop at one distasteful inflated rain dear; no they must invite Wal-Mart over to puke every damn inflatable object imaginable onto their lawns. I shudder to think what will be next... I actually can't think of much that would be worse to me, maybe next will be giant robot Santa's and Rudolph's prancing about, though at least with those their exists the slight possibility of the robots going rouge and mauling their owners then going on a twelve day rampage spreading Christmas terror coast to coast!

But I digress and ramble.

We made the annual trek to the tree lot, about a mile from the house. It's the tradition now to walk and buy the tree and carry it back, making jokes about getting tree-jacked. We always do this the weekend after Thanksgiving, though I have recently found out that it is actually illegal to buy or sell a Christmas tree in Montgomery County before December 5th. It's true, someone actually reported a church that started selling on the 29th and the County shut them down until the 4th. What on earth for? I can't imagine, though it does make the whole carrying an illegal Christmas tree though town all that much more exciting! I think next year we'll wear ski masks...

Other then that, most of the weekend was fairly unremarkable, though I am happy to say that I have finally fixed the plumbing problem in our kitchen. It seems that cheap faucets can go bad. Yes after spending hours replacing the pipes under the faucet to no avail, I was advised by my folks that cheep faucets have plastic innards that eventually wear out and stop working... so after multiple trips to that depot place that shall remain nameless (funny, I used to enjoy going there... when I rented) I returned once again to go faucet shopping.

I am astounded to say that the experience was actually very pleasant; well, parts. First the salesman knew just about everything there was to know about faucets. Yes he actually did. He explained all the inner workings and the benefits of the different brands and why some cost about 70$ and others closer to 300$. It turns out that when buying a faucet it can pay to spend more, as much as the idea made me cringe. So that was the bad part of going, the huge hole that that place burns in my wallet.

Installing went amazingly well. No more pesky nuts and bolts and gaskets, but clamps and clips! After taking just about an hour (that out with the old (45 minutes) and in with the new (15 or so) I held my breath.... turned on the water and........... Well I got sprayed in the knees because I didn't actually attach on key component quite tight enough.

So I re-tightened it, mopped up some water, and turned it on and...... HOT WATER!

I hope that will be the last plumbing fiasco for a while...

There are more exciting (if your idea of exciting is sitting in the waiting room at the dentist for a root canal) stories I could regale you with, but I think you've all probably had enough for now.

Cheers

No comments: