(My life in DC )

...and everywhere else...

Friday, December 12, 2008

Another Italian


So here it is getting on in the evening, waiting for my folks to arrive from MA and my wife from work. Naturally I decided what better time then now to pop a cork on a new bottle of vino and see what we have. Tonight it's Arceno, PrimaVoce, 2004 - Italy, on sale for 12 buckaroos.




After a slight mishap, lucky I had a backup.





As I first took out the cork the nostrils detected a fruity but acidic alcohol smell... better let it breath for a bit while I go breathe somewhere else....


Back for the first little sip, little sip because the folks are en-route and I am on 3 hours sleep in the last 24 so I don't want to be passed out on the floor when the get here. Though the evening may go smoother if I am (parents are fun).

Too my surprise, though still a little bit of a dry bite, very tasty indeed, maybe two sips...

My nose was not crazy about it at first but upon return I have decided that I could be enticed by the mocha and fruit aroma, though it was still a bit acidic. I wouldn't go calling it extravagantly delicious but I didn't want to vomit so that's good.

As for the first taste, I think I detected fruit like prunes and cherries in there as well as chocolate and spices that lead into a peppery woody finish. I'd also say that it most assuredly has a better body then I do.

The acidic and boozeyness of it was a bit Strong right out of the bottle but giving it a good half hour to take a breath fixed that and the balance of tannins and fruit helped greatly. Besides, who would want to drink a wine that wasn't a little bit boozy? All in all I'm not too disappointed (who could be for that price!). Tentatively I'll rate this a +4 for good taste and an easy finish though I'll refrain from solidifying this until tomorrow. Time to wait and see how I feel the morning after...

Well it's not the morning after but I can most assuredly remember waking up that fateful Saturday morning knowing only two things. One; I must get out of bed, take a shower and spend the day "touring" DC with the folks. Two; My brain hurts.
Yes indeed, Arceno may make a good companion for the evening, but this Italian is not fun to wake up with. This fact MAY have been compounded by my staying up late (after 11, remember I worked all the night before and only slept for 3 hours) and the fact that the bottle is now empty along with some (or all) of another....

As for an officially unofficial rating wholly decided and bestowed by myself, +3 (The I might be nice tonight but in the morning I'll make you feel like I killed your cat award). As a disclaimer I am only lowering it by one point because it was tasty and these painful and bitterly remembered after effects were probably brought upon by my own foolishness as well as exasperated by the fact that my folks expected a chipper chauffeur and tour guide during the 4 hours we were at the American History museum. As for the museum I actually do recommend it. The remodel is not too bad and the "America at War" display was stimulating. Just don't go on a very hungover Saturday, the screaming children everywhere will in no way make your brain feel any better.

Cheers!

No comments: