(My life in DC )

...and everywhere else...

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

An Odd Mix, Or Form One End To The Other.......

The last week has been, well a mix of crap, more crap and some tastiness.

As I mentioned before we have been experiencing some plumbing problems. Well that is RESOLVED! almost... The plumber has been working on it since Thursday, it's Monday... not done... not his fault though he had t order a special toilet from New Jersey (go figure...). I didn't mind, this special toilet saved me 3,000.00 dollars, yes folks 3K. how? well it has what is called a Macerator box. Sounds lovely, no? It's not. It's a toilet tank sized box below the toilet tank that completely liquefies anything that goes threw it. Apparently the plumber saw a demo where they sent 20 tampons threw at once and just liquid came out. So that's some chopping power!
How did this amazing poo chopper save us 3k? well with the pooerator toilet there was no need to jackhammer up all the old pipes, just cap them off put a small line directly to the main drainage pipe and whala! all done!

I'll put some pics of the finished work in soon...

I know, it's not nice to talk about things like poo-annihilation devices in public, but it makes me happy (more then I think it probably should, more then anything that deals with poo ever has before, except when they put in the Porto-potties, back when I was stuck in the desert, and we didn't have to pour diesel fuel into a bucket of poo and burn it to dispose of it anymore, that's the happiest anything that has to do with poo has ever made me......


Ok done now, I promise!


So if your still reading (I wouldn't blame you if not), this is what I started while the plumber was busy at work.





Mr. YDIOBIDICWAC (that's "you do it over because I did it completely wrong and crappy") ,the guy we bought the house from, replaced sections of baseboards with completely different trim and boards...













It's coming along ok, I think I need to pull off all the old stuff in this area and redo it to avoid it looking like I just patched it up... yay more work. And it's hard to pull that off without putting holes in the plaster! the trick is a shingle or putty knife behind the pry-bar to disperse the pressure...

Though this may be ill advised I'll come full circle and end on a tasty note...

For dinner I made Pepper steak on the old grill. I must admit this is perhaps the simplest and most delicious steak I have had in a long, long time.
Start here...
That's:
Black Pepper
Salt
dried mixed garlic and herbs (I like the Spice Islands version set to a course grind)
Olive oil (On the veggies)
Garlic (also only on the veggies)






I used Green Pepper, Onion (one half large white) mushrooms (Baby Bella) and one lager Red Potato.
Wrap the veggies in Aluminum Foil


Drizzle on the olive oil
Liberally grind on pepper and spice
salt to taste (I am a sparse salt person, K is not...)
and place the garlic on top (I used about a table spoon, or more... I like garlic... a lot...)

wrap it up and put it on the grill.
about 30 or 45 minutes, second shelf 400-500 degrees.



Meanwhile rub the steak (I suggest the thickest cut you can find) with the salt, pepper and herbs. Wait till the veggies are done to cook if you want it rare like me, or throw it on for 20 minutes and make it blackened like K.






And your done!














And done!


















Remember to let the meat sit for about 5 minutes after you take it off, it's lets it finish cooking...



Cheers!

2 comments:

rachaelgking said...

That steak looks AMAZING! Killer grill marks... mmmmm...

Draffish said...

Thanks! It did come out very very good...